Park City Museum
The Park City Museum is dedicated to preserving, protecting, and promoting the rich and diverse history and heritage of Park City, Utah
About Park City Museum's Building
After several years of petitioning the State of Utah for incorporation, Park City was granted a charter on March 8, 1884. With a population in excess of 4,000 a building to centralize municipal functions was critically needed. Construction of City Hall began in 1885. The Great Fire of 1898 claimed all but the facade. Reconstruction began almost immediately, and in 1901 the tower and a 1,500 pound bell were added to warn Parkites of future conflagrations. City Hall has housed diverse government offices. The old Utah Territorial Prison, commonly called " The Dungeon" was located in the basement. Park City Municipal Corporation, needing larger quarters, vacated City Hall in 1983. Extensive restoration was completed in early 1984. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, this is a two-story masonry and brick structure of the Victorian commercial style. Its decorative brick work, segmental arches over three bay openings on street level, and plat pilasters divided the upper level into a three-part composition make this one of the most distinctive structures built in Park City. Park City Centennial Commission Plaque B: (Below) CITY HALL PARK CITY Constructed in 1885. Rebuilt following partial destruction during the 1898 fire. Original jail cells located in basement.